Tuesday, May 31

Working hard during Memorial Day weekend!

Wow! I just finished a ten page paper. I worked on it from yesterday morning to just now. I had some sleep of course. Guess what? I still have another ten page paper to write but it is not due till next week. My goal is to finish it tomorrow because I have class Wednesday. Then I will be done with all of my papers. This is how I spent Memorial weekend! How fun!
In between my breaks I had some time to check out the website Professor Tabor suggested, www.parentrevolution.org. Pretty empowering information. There is new law in California, Parent trigger, which gives parents the power to transform or change the school their child is attending, either by forcing the school district a find a new principle or by demanding an entire new staff. I think this new law is a great opportunity for parents to give their children a quality education. Before reading about this new law, I was determined to send my son to private school. My son is two years old and has a few years to go before he starts school. I do not mean to sound cliche but time goes by so fast, before I know it, my son will be starting kindergarten. So I am doing my research now.
Now that I have knowledge of this new law, I am considering sending my son to public school. Mainly because I know that as parent I have control over my son's education and because our public school system needs a make over and I want to be part of that. Not to mention the five hundred dollars a month I will be saving! I could put that money towards my son's college fund.

4 comments:

  1. YAY! I love parents who do their research!
    And putting that money towards college fund, you're awesome.

    (looks to the left and right) *cough
    I uh... should start doing that, too.
    District 8's education system looks baaaaaaaaad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hopefully with this new law, even our worst school districts will improve. Let's say a prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to be honest, before learning about that website, I was very thankful that I would be finished with my education before my son started school because I wanted to send him to private school no matter how much it costs. Now that I know that I have a voice, I will do everything within my power to ensure that whatever school he attends is the very best.

    That is a great idea to put that money towards a college fund. I have a savings account for started for him now but I'm hoping that once I graduate, I will be able to save MUCH more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I opened a 529 aggressive/ moderate fund college fund. It makes 8-9% and they are flexible on the amount you put in.

    ReplyDelete