Wednesday, January 18

Los Angeles Riots

I remember Tabor saying to do a blog, but I guess I will be the first. I was in the third grade when the riots happened. I remember watching one of the downtown federal buildings on fire on TV. I knew what was going on, but could not understand why. All I remember is that the next day, my teacher made my class write letters to Rodney King and asking him why he did the "bad thing" against the police department. About three days later, I was on my way to my dad's home in Norco with my grandmother and saw the same building I saw on television while driving through Downtown Los Angeles. That image stayed with me, along with the letters to Rodney King. Only as I grew up I learned the reason why the riots occured, and that there was another man who was severely beaten: Reginald Denny. As of today, I still drive by that federal building, but the smoke-lined windows are no longer there.

4 comments:

  1. hey Barracuda - thanks for keeping us on track. I remember them well, particularly one night on the roof of our building and seeing fires burn in 360 degrees around us - every side. I remember driving to the store to get provisions and people did not necessarily drive on the correct side of the street. The streets were quiet; most people obeyed the curfew. We did not go to work. ask your parents, your neighbors' parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember anything that has to do with LA Riots because i was super young when it happened. I think it will be a good topic to write about because it will allow me to learn about what and why it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ItsMee0907 - I am in the same boat. I was only 2 years old when the LA Riots happened. My parents told me that we were kept close to them and we rarely left the house when the riots were going on. My father mentioned how he saw many burning buildings and looted stores when he went to work. (He used to work Downtown LA, just a few blocks from the LA Bridge)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley, in the city of Sylmar, so I was far away from the riots. But I do remember having to come inside from playing with my friends earlier than normal due to the curfew. Even though I lived in a safe neighborhood, no one went into town to grocery shop unless it was a group expedition. My father's visitation was also limited, since he did not want anyone driving us through Downtown until the dust settled.

    ReplyDelete