Friday, February 13

I'm a Good Place to Start

After reflecting back on the class discussion about individual perceptions, I realize that my own thought process can contribute to what I despise the most and that is to be treated differently. It may be naïve to think that it’s possible to be treated as an equal seeing that we live in a society that loves to categorize. I would like to be seen as a human being, no more no less. I realize it has to start with someone, so it might as well start with me. I need to stop trying to predetermine what someone is all about because that act alone is treating someone differently. I need to just be who I am and trust that my aura as a loving individual is not in vain. It would be more beneficial to my spiritual being if I practice not letting others affect who I am and just be who I am to me, if that makes any sense. I love the positive spin that Dr. Tabor puts on situations. I can only hope that with practice I too can possess such qualities with little to no effort.

6 comments:

  1. it's easy for someone to be treated differently, especially if it's based on their appearance or abilities. however, i feel strongly for this way of living "you are treated the way you allow others to treat you." if a person were to ever feel as though they were being treated unfairly, one must speak up and not let it go, because the more you let things go, it'll bottle up inside of you and it’ll keep on happening or worse case scenario, unfortunate mishaps can occur

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE ARE ALL TREATED DIFFRENTLY BECAUSE WE TREAT EACH OTHER IN THE SAME MANNER. IT WILL NEVER END BECAUSE THESE FEELING HAVE BEEN INSTILLED IN US FOR REASONS IM NOT SURE OF AND AS A PARENT WE CONTINUE THIS EVEN THOUGH WE TRY NOT TO THAT IS JUST THE WAY OUR SOCIETY IS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We grow up with certain stereotypes of certain people. This starts from our own home - it is ingrained into us. It is sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What we notice in the world depends in large part on the statuses we occupy; in this way we may be said to experience our social status. Just as status help to explain what we notice,it also explains what we dont notice. we are likely to be unaware of the statuses that privelege us.

    there is no such thing as being treated as "human beings".. i wish there was. but we live in a world where everyone experiences different treatment because of the way we look and speak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cautious - we all have the same starting place: ourselves. That's what we can have some guidance over. We have two choices: love or fear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beauty of a human being is that we CAN be different and express our differences. We are also inherently different on how we react to one another. It then depends on whethe an individual reacts with fear or love, as stated by Dr. Tabor.

    ReplyDelete