Saturday, February 7

Freedom

Have you ever sat down and thought about having freedom? whether it is at home, at work, at school, on the street or even just the illusion of what it means to be free? It did not occur to me that i have so much freedom in this country than what my parents had in their country when they were growing up until we had the discussion in one of my classes on Thursday. i can honestly say that i take allot of the things that America offers its people for granted. i have freedom of speech, religion, thought, sexual preference, education, so on so forth. I'm sure other countries have their own "freedom" rights, but America seems to cover all the ones that directly matter to a citizen. sure there are flaws in our constitution and some of the things do not make sense to us, because it was written so long ago, but it touches on allot of things other countries do not even consider to be a right for a citizen. the bill of rights amends all the rights i listed above plus many others. I'm lucky to live in this country and be able to express all the things that matter to me freely.

4 comments:

  1. Though we are granted certain rights that other countries do not offer, I don't believe it is complete freedom. Though people think that we have freedom of religion ... we are still a higly Christian minded country. Most of our laws and law makers are comformed Protestant ideals. You don't hear politians talking about Buddha or giving thanks to Mother Earth, they always go back to thanking Christ. Just take a look at the inauguration ... it was filled with Christianity. So, if you are not Christian ... to a certian degree you are still an outcast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that we never had freedom. we live in a society full of rules,laws,norms

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree; our generation has more choices, (I wouldnt really call it freedom, than our parents might have been. My mother for instance was forced to marry at the age of 15, so the family can get an ecomic advantage. Her chosen husband happen to own many bussiness. As soon as my mother came to America she left it because she was not in Love with him and SHE CHOSE to be with my father. A choice she wouldnt of had back in her country.

    ReplyDelete