Wednesday, April 6

The Fame of Teenage Pregnancy...

I know that everyone is well aware of the growing epidemic of teenage pregnancies in this country in recent years.  After reading online today that Bristol Palin (daughter of Sarah Palin) makes over $250,000 a year, this made me a little upset.  Admittedly, I am an avid watcher of 16 & Pregnant, Teen Mom and Teen Mom 2 because I know the INTENTIONS of the show. However, what the shows' creators failed to take into account is the fact that the teenagers watching these shows are still very much influenced by the world around them, especially media outlets.  Many of the shows' viewers are looking at the glamour of being a teen mom and not about the consequences of having a child before graduating high school.  There has recently been report of young ladies attempting to get pregnant so they can appear on one of these reality shows.  They make these decisions without thinking about the possibility of not being casted for an upcoming season.  This leads to them living with a child to care for and no education or income to support that child.  These young ladies who actually make it onto the show are highly compensated.  I don't believe that they should be paid as much as they are because if the show is supposed to showcase their struggles, this should include the financial aspects of their lives as well.  Maybe the intention of these shows was to show how difficult it is to be a teen mom, however, it seems to me as if these shows have made teenage pregnancy famous. What do you guys think?

4 comments:

  1. I agree too..I dnt watch these shows for those reasons even though i do watch shows that are just as bad lol...but i think is just so sad how young girls are getting preagnant for all the wrong reasons especially for just 15 min of fame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually teen pregnancies are on the decline in the US, it's just that the media continues to perpetuate the stereotypes that teen are getting pregnant willy-nilly.

    I don't like the Teen Mom shows, if only for the fact that it focuses on the mom's culpability in getting pregnancy and rarely the father's.

    I do agree that the sole focus on celebrity is bad, but we keep it going by watching these shows, buying the magazines, watching interviews, etc. so we can't really blame these girls for doing what we ask, especially if they're so young, in a current culture of insta-fame.

    Why should they stop? They're being rewarded by mass attention and validation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I agree.. while I LOVE watching teen mom 2 (I cried a bit at Corey and Leah's wedding), I too realize that the point of it is to scare away the idea of having a baby when a teenager... but most teenagers don't see it that way. They're gonna see it as what it is -- teens on TV BECAUSE they have babies. Which, for most people, would seem rewarding.

    However, I think teens will get pregnant whether the show exists or not.. so it's hard to say whether the show is really having an effect or not, but in the end.. Jenelle is one crazy mother!*^&#@.. (:

    ReplyDelete