Saturday, April 23

Goodbye Self. Hello Work.

I used to have a good job in reception at a high powered international corporate law firm in San Franscisco, making $20 an hour. Deciding to quit working there to get a job with more flexible hours so I could pursue a college degree, seemed like a great idea at the time. I was fed up with working for attorneys who made $250 an hour, compared to my wages.

Did anyone else make more moeny before they went to college?

I had many friends that told me how much money I could get waitressing, plus I could basicly pick my own hours, so that is what I did. I took a job at a well known food chain resturant. I worked there all through out the time I spent at the local community college, about two and a half years. At first it was fun and easy. But after about a year, my high spirits began to dissipate. Working in an office, I had more leisure time to chill at my desk, go on myspace, cruz the hall looking to share a conversation with a fellow co-worker, or at times when I was busy, most I had to do was make phone calls, and type up letters and schedules, that sort of thing. Although I was completely BORED out of my mind, it was a low stress atmosphere. Giving that up was a real sacrifice. Working in a resturant is very fast paced, and it is basicaly a commision based pay, which means you have to constantly put on your best face, weather your happy or not. Of course this is true for all jobs, but commision based jobs make you become a different person. It is like you are not you anymore. You are a worker. You are the face of that establishment. If you are having a bad day and let it show, you will not make money. This over time is an awful feeling. Losing who you truly are because of the work you do.

Has anyone else ever been alienated from their true self because of their occupation?

For my first year at a four-year university, I wanted to focus on school, and just live off loans and grants. This, I did. But now summer is coming around, and to my surprise federal aids and grants are only givin for three quarters, which means that I need to get a summer job. I want to take summer courses and work at a place with felxible hours. Where will I work? Should I take a waitressing job because that is what I know? What other jobs have flexible hours? What kind of jobs have flexible hours, good pay and I do not give my soul away to do? Am I just pipe dreaming?

No one told me how broke I would be as a college student.

4 comments:

  1. I was broke, too. As I recall, I took myself out to breakfast twice in college. I washed dishes in the dorm. Then I showed slides in Art History classes. In the summers and at Christmas, I went back home and worked all the holidays to get double time at the telephone comapny. Many many years later, I paid off my student loans.
    Money has to come from somewhere - it's too bad no one actually told you, but it's always true. We all have to take care with money. Part of it is exercising "Deferred Gratification." Another part if buying for the future: why pay $4 per cup of coffee at Starbucks when, for $20 you can buy a great thermos and carry your own. Why buy that extra shirt? It won't look so good the moment you wash it.
    Stay healthy: exercise and eat right. Smile and have faith. Those are the most important things. Money will follow, as it will, all in due time. And as for paying the attorneys 10 times more than the receptionist - yes, that is the way it works due to supply and demand. Were they able to get a new receptionist when you retired? yes. for $20? yes. Would they get an attorney for $20? no. that is the way it operates, and while we often lament that no one actually told us, well ... I guess we learn through experience.

    Have faith! You are in college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My long comment failed to post.

    I'll shorten it. You're not alone. Yes, I have made more money before school, but who knows where I would be right now?
    Yes, I feel more alienated from myself than before.
    Thank you for telling me that I won't have summer fed grants, cal-grants, or pell grants. Now I feel like I need to find an internship and cut down from 16 units to 12 :-( which is what I was planning in the summer time.

    Which mean I'm going to be stuck here still fall or winter depending on the availability of classes. Boy this sux.

    No, you're not pipe dreaming. I know we're supposed to be anonymous here, but I've posted some links about internship positions before.
    I gave up dreaming about being happy at a work place. I just need a stable career with pension plan and benefits so in the future, my daughter won't need to take care of her own mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I stopped by the career development... counseling... place on campus. THey seem to have some part time jobs available. So does the student union. Something about school ambassador. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried Bartending, especially over the summer, its really good and fast tips depending where on you work. And on the plus side its only a couple of days. Just keep your head up it seems hard but it will definitely pay off in the end :)

    ReplyDelete