Wednesday, May 27

Texing a Texer

Texing seems to be the best way to communicate now a days. But why are we changing the English language when we do it? As a mother and frequent texer, I receive full pages of texes that only contain acronyms. I get three letters such as IDK, OMG, LOL, WTF, that would all display complete sentences. Yeah, we may say it's quicker and easier to get through a tex if we shorten the words, but on the flip side of that are we dumbing ourselves up? I noticed once while writing a paper I used every acronym I knew or could think of. This only caused me to lose time because I had to write, rewrite and write again.
I prefer my children to tex me full, because when I get things like this" Ma wr u @?, Hw lng is da mtg?, is ur daughter hm, or wt it do?" Simply urkes the he double hockey sticks out of me. It takes longer to sometimes figure out what the message says than it does to tex. So lets help our future and demand they use full words even if it's a tex.

7 comments:

  1. I do this all the time and make up my own stuff and my friends think that it's so weird that I do that but in fact it does save me a lot more time while i'm texting but I totally understand why it would be frustrating for the person receiving my texts. Sorry LOL (there I did it again).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is wise for us to think of these new forms of communication as supplements rather than substitutions, i.e., we are ADDING TO how we communicate with one another. Just because I can call my friends in the car does not mean I don't want to see them, too. It adds a dimension, it does not substitute. so, when technology provides new symbols and convenances, like IMHO or LOL, these are new additions to the lexicon, not substitutions. Better to have a kid say, Hi, mom, how ru? than not to check in at all. Still, whatever mom says are the rules! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think our youth have found a smart way to keep parents in the dark. My son uses this form of texting saying that it is quicker and since he has prepaid, it keeps the cost down. I just figured out what LMAO and LOL meant. I don't try to figure out the rest of the acronyms. My adult friends and I use full sentences no matter if it is causing us to have carpal tunnel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that all the time and the people I text with do too, so we don't have a hard time trying to figure out what we're saying but I guess it's cause we are used to it. I don't see it as dumbing ourselves. Of course I wouldn't do that when writing a paper but it is way easier and faster when texting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Texting a texer can save a lot of times when we type to communicate with the other party. But, for me I rather used the whole full words when I text messages to the other party. It's because I can learned more better and won't forget words that I already know. It is true that its hard for me to figure words that are in a couple letters or in initials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah but i find this 2 b so easy. sometimes i do it soo much that i sometimes don't even catch myself. but i totally agree w/ u. i do believe when it comes to children, they should at least use complete written out sentences when texting their parenst. even if it does take longer. i guess its just the new generation, they're surrounded with technology. they can't help it

    ReplyDelete