Wednesday, November 19

Homeless in Paradise....What do YOU think about the homeless?

When you see homeless people around your neighborhood, pushing carts with their belongings, digging in our trash cans for any "buried treasure", sleeping on a corner of a liquor store with their hand tightly grasping a beer can, young males in gas stations asking for money, or an overdosed individual laying on the street looking half-dead, what do you feel? What do you think? What crosses your mind? Do you speak to them? Do you give them money or food? What can or should be done? Has there been an encounter that has changed your views and thoughts about these people? Have you ever volunteered at any shelters for the homeless?


These are questions I have often asked myself and others when I see the same people with no job, no home, and no shoes, walking around my neighborhood. My own personal thoughts are mixed. I have talked to a couple of homeless males. They confessed to be homeless due to "CRACK" and their addiction to it. I feel bad for them, but also angry that these young strong citizens of the U.S. are in a country others would risk their life to be in and don't take advantage of that. The fact that our extremely RICH goverment won't take action to hel these people also enrages me. But who am I to judge? I try my best not to.


My final paper is on homeless people and how certain individuals got to be in the position that they are in now. Any comments or answers to my questions would be gladly appreciated. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. I give them food instead of money. I would much rather them get a nice meal than to dig through the trash myself. I personally wish that there were more programs to help get homeless people off the streets instead of dumping them off in a neighboring state. This will involve a lot of funding, since rehab will be required for some of them. In a more fair, caring and focused America this would be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also prefer to give them food instead of money because it guarantees where the money is going, because if most of the homeless are because of drugs, whats stopping them from spending the money on drugs instead of food?

    I also have a friend that does the same and when people ask him for money, he ends up asking them whats the money going to be used for and if they respond food, he goes with them to get food and buys it for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i work in an a liqour store =, in an area populated with a few homeless people, and i that when a person gives them money they go on in and buy beer with it. (which seems crazy to me, but hey its their lives)
    i had an experience ini where i bought a homeless man food instead of giving him money and he got very ofended and refuse to acept the food. my intention was not to upset him at all.
    which leads me to my last point i think that it really shouldnt matter what a homeless person does with the money, the part that matters are the good intensions of the person giving the money or the food.

    ReplyDelete