Tuesday, March 15

My Final

Class has ended and I will not have an opportunity to share my sentence, unless I do it here. Yes I brought something to share with the class today, but I became shy so I did not read it. It is not a poem; it is simply a sentence I wrote on a journal last Saturday. Before I share it, I will tell you how it ended up on my journal.

Last Saturday I was at a funeral. He was only thirty four years old and his death impacted me in different ways. The death topic had been in my head for a while. Just two weeks before that, I had attended the funeral of a seven year old boy. I was not sure what to do with all of my thoughts and questions so I picked up an old journal, sat in the living room sofa, and began to write.

It all went well for a few minutes. Then a broom got in the way. My mom started sweeping and it seemed to me like she wanted my attention. The more I ignored her, the harder she swept. Finally she said, "This house is filled with dust; and look at this table, if we don't clean it, the wood will be ruined." I was not sure what she was talking about. The house appeared clean to me. Plus I did not understand why she did not bother my brother, who was watching T.V. in his room. I was writing! The point is, she interrupted something that I felt was important for meaningless cleaning. I had become irritated by then and I ended my writing with something like this:

"Clean all you want, but no one will care when you are six feet under."

I feel that many times we do things that do not matter. We focus on things that we believe are important, but they have no meaning. I am not saying that one should not clean her house, but in my mother's case, the house was not dirty. Yes, there was some dust, but who cares? There are more important things out there. There are things that we enjoy, but rarely do. There are things that we do not enjoy, but we make them routine. Why? I say we invest a little more time in what we love.



This short thought is dedicated to Herson Herrarte (2003-2011) and Miguel Sanchez (1976-2011).

6 comments:

  1. Even though you are sky, thank you for sharing.I guess if you spend little time with her and sit down to have a little talk. Everything will be fine. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so meaningful and you are so right.Thank you for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel inspired to do more of the things i enjoy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That line does make you sound pissed off and the message is concise too! Love that! I crank out some of my best analysis when I'm at my worst, so this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the exact reason I don't ever wash my car.. why waste time and money when mother nature can do it for you.. although Los Angeles sees rain maybe 2 weeks a year max.

    One of my favorite quotes, "Nothing we have is worth hurting anyone else for...if you try to love them you won't lose anything."
    -Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments, everyone. I will start swimming weekly now. It's something I always wanted to do, but never made the time for. I took the first steps already. I found a place and bought my bathing suit.

    ReplyDelete