Wednesday, October 19

The myth of women making less.

I've mentioned in class before that there is a misconception that women make less than men with similar jobs. YOU MUST EXCLUDE GENERATION "BABY BOOMERS" when I make this statement.

I've worked in HR. Trust me. The disparity is on WHICH JOB you are in.
In HR, all the top earners are women. All the directors, vice presidents, presidents of the division are women. So is the case in finance, administration, legal, and operations.

The difference? Engineering and video game developers. (Based on the company I worked for)

3 comments:

  1. I agree that we are wise and kind to be very careful about any distinctions we make between groups - race, sex, age. And when they are politically "charged" (as are race, sex, and age) people often "cling" to some definition they have been told by ... someone, some teacher, some group, some media. Best to look at all points of view to get the picture. As I like to say this season since I have a leak in my roof, if I believe in one theory about fixing my roof, my roof will not get fixed. I have to listen to all the theories, all the facts, all the possible solutions - or I will still have a leak. When we want to fix a problem, we cannot be partisan because by definition all parties have just ONE side of the issue and every issue is multi-sided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! :D Humanism / Egalitarianism... the way of the future.

    ReplyDelete