Thursday, March 4

playing for change

At first, I didn't see a correlation with having poor kids play music, or how music brings together the less fortunate because I was thinking that less fortunate immigrants that come here may listen to completely different music. If that was the case, then not all music would bring together people. I do think his use of street performers and children did bring together a very vivid image of music affecting people's lives, and his cause is a very good one. The video of the children learning music is a little excessive in my option, but in a way it does show that the money is going towards something good. I wouldn't say music is exactly the connector in people's lives. If anything it may divide people, but children that learn to play music have been shown to be, for lack of a better word, smarter. It does promote creativity. I have a quote that I thought was fitting: "A growing body of research confirms the relationship between high quality preschool and later success in school and in life ... Music engages the brain over a period of time .... the process of listening to music could be a way that the brain sharpens its ability to sustain attention." — Stanford University School of Medicine, July 2007. Don't get me wrong, I loved the music in the short clip, but it all seemed a little sappy to me. That was their purpose afterall, right?

1 comment:

  1. It is good to know some people who are fortunate to have won Grammy awards are giving back to the world. Mark Johnson didn't just decide to give away money. He gave ten years of his life to create one message of one love.

    ReplyDelete