Monday, October 27

Woah! Woah! Woah! What the ???

First I apologize for my title but that's how I felt when I picked up the University Times this week. For those who haven't heard the news there was an academic senate meeting held last Tuesday (i believe). The purpose of this meeting was on a proposal to change OUR quarter system to a Semester system. Two more meetings will be held coming up to address this matter.
Those who want to change to a quarter system argue that it will benefit everybody. Administration will have less paperwork, professors will have more time off, and students won't have to spend too much money on book since they will be taking less classes, among other points.

I'm personally oppose this. I love the quarter system. I chose Cal State LA because of it. I could have gone to CSUF, CSUN, or CSULB but after spending 2 1/2 yrs at community college my only goal has been to get out of CSULA ASAP. And the quarter system accelerates the process for those who want to. Plus I do not see myself in a 16wk semester where i usually procrastinate and spend all that time waiting for winter or summer to come.

I understand some students concern, but if they are really interested in a semester school, and spending less money on books then you have an option to go elsewhere. Many great Universities in South CA offer that option for you.

I hope that this change doesn't happen. Most importantly i hope students get an opportunity to speak out their mind and get heard.

I'm not sure what is your opinion on this but i would really like to hear your opinion. Also if you know about any information in where students can do something to oppose this change let me know.

http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/ut/home.html

12 comments:

  1. I agree with you. The quarter system seems to be faster and it keeps me on my toes. Like you, I also procrstinate through the long weeks of school in a semester system. I just transfered to CSULA because of the quarter system, among other reasons, and I don't like the idea of going back to semester classes. Classes seem to be going at a good, fast pace and it makes me keep up with reading and papers. Plus, I think the majority of people just want to get those units in, and get out of here to start our careers.

    Bummer. I hope it doesn't pass. I'd probably transfer out somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for starting this topic!
    I hope everyone chimes in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you. I transferred from a community college and the semester system always seemed to leave me with too much time on my hands. I like the quarter system because it keeps me on my toes and prevents boredom and burnout. I feel that if this passes it will be like going backwards instead of forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just as outraged as all of you. I am a big supporter of the quarter system and to change CSULA to a semester system seems unfair. So what people are going to have to go to UCLA now to be in a quarter system? Ya right, considering how competitive it is to go there I doubt most people will be thinking of UCLA. I guess this means students will have to bite the bullet and deal with it. What also bothers me is that now it will take longer for a student to receive a masters degree, especially for returning students. I guess the point is NO TIME TO WASTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If they change from quarter system to semester I'm going to be beyond disappointed. I can't believe they are even considering this. Are we (the students) going to have a say in this? Who get's to vote? I don't know why they would want to change the system now; it's going to take even longer to finish school and be just as costly. I say we revolt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Revolt sounds good. It sucks because with the quarter system i plan to graduate Fall 09' so i still don't know how that is going to affect. Plus i was considering staying at CSULA for grad school because of the quarter system. UCI now is looking like a better option.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. quarters... quarters... quarters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you. Even though I will be graduating this year I still have Graduate School. It shouldn't be changed. It took me a sometime to get adjusted to the quater system and now I'm glad the CSULA is a quater system it is so much easier and faster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If we could vote on it I think it will be over and done with. We really do not want to go backwards do we? I soooo agree. Get on with the classes so we can get on with our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely disagree with switching to the semester system. I have endured the semester system and it always seems to drag on and on for me. I love the quarter system and sincerely hope that if these changes are implemented, it won't be within the year because I'm graduating soon and would be completely thrown off schedule. That would make me a very unhappy person :(

    ReplyDelete