Monday, October 20

Careless Words

Recently I have witnessed some very disturbing images of people yelling out racial slurs and using inappropriate languages when describing the current presidential candidates. In my opinion, people yelling out words like terrorist when describing a presidential candidate, is not only inappropriate but outright misleading. I have also noticed words such as Muslim being used in a negative way. This came to my attention again when Collin Powell spoke about these words being thrown around persistently. What really caught my attention was when Collin Powell asked what if he is Muslim? Is there something wrong with being Muslim in this country? He answered his question by saying no, that's not America. He also further talked about a Muslim soldier, who gave his life defending America. Therefore, in my opinion we have to be careful when we yell out these words because words can have powerful consequences. I believe we need to understand and accept each other, and not criticize one another because of what that person's race or religion may be. This will only create division when we need to come and work together. Therefore, I believe both candidates should work hard to address these issues and end the negative tone of these campaigns.

8 comments:

  1. yes, this is very disturbing not because of the ignorance displayed by the person making the comment, but because there are actually people who will listen to this without having one proof of evidence. my thing is if some people think this why don't they prove it. they have no air to breathe on with that and those who fall for the fallacies, well, i just feel really bad for them. my mother always said a man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.
    good story!
    m.o.a.w.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, and it comes from both party supporters. Just in the food court area I heard this guy expressed himself about Mccain & Palin being stupid and other words (i can't write here), and he didn't have anything to back him up just his opinion. I know this doesn't exactly compare to Obama being call a terrorist however people should be careful about they say. Sometimes people do get carry away by their emotions but thats no excuse to insult someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes - for the next 13 days lets just say what we LIKE about our candidates of choice. Make it a point and make a point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we forget that even this, America, the freest and more diverse country in the world, still has racism in society. Racism isn't over my friends. Racism still exists alive and strong and we see it everyday whether we notice it or not. This time however, people were able to voice it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup ,yup, thats very true this is a very racist country! People are not willing to admit that. I have learn so much from this presidential election. I learn how much hate is still in our society. It is a sad very sad tragedy to see this being displayed in some of our "class discussions and throughout our campus."
    -actions speak louder then words.
    -Watch what you say and how you say it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can you say this is a country! Sure this was a racist country in the past but its changing rapidly. I lived in three countries(Lebanon,Russia and France) and trust me you have not seen racism. This is not a racist country, we just have some racist people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay okay maybe i should have said we have A LOT of racist PEOPLE in this country. SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yeah one more thing, i have experinced racism. I have been treated like trash because of race.So i don't have to go around the world to experince racism when its right home!

    ReplyDelete