Thursday, October 9

Abortion and The Death Penalty

I am siting here watching redemption, what a wonderful movie about Stan Tookie Williams the founder of the crips gang and his journey through the death penalty and his redemption. (I know this movie is very old, but this is my first time seeing it.)

Tookie Williams said a lot of interesting things about young black men growing up in a white dominate society where racism still exist.(another subject and another day)

As I watch this movie I start to wonder why so many people are for the death penalty and oppose to abortion. The argument that I hear is that, "women who have abortions are killing babies." But when we sentence someone to death row, aren't we taking a life as well? yes, I know, I have heard it all before, "an eye for an eye." Right? But I got something to tell you Christian's who believe this saying. What about thou shall not kill? That's a commandment as well. Who are we as a society to determine who live and who dies? If abortion is wrong than shouldn't the death penalty be consider wrong as well? What about "god" loves everyone? What about "god" forgives everyone? Is there no redemption for those who repent? For people such as Tookie Williams? What is your take on the abortion/death penalty issue? What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Here's my opinion, I don't mean to offend anybody.
    First of all I am Pro-Choice, and pro capital punishment. I considered myself a democrat & a catholic and i know the beliefs i have are against my two affiliations.
    That being said, I believe in redemption and if a heaven exist than forgiveness shall be granted then.
    However, I do believe that there are people that do not deserve to reintegrate into society. The initial foundation of the Crips, was a good idea. Provide protection within a community. But Tookie was immature and shifted his interest leading to violent crimes. The Crips then became what they are now, violent and murderers. Tookie was responsible for violent crimes, and the homicide of 3 people while committing those crimes. He never cooperated with police investigation, thus, other Crip members never jailed for the crimes they participated in. Tookie became influential once he denounced his gang affiliation, he probably could have been very helpful in his community. However, that doesn’t discredit the crimes he committed. I do believe that he deserved his death penalty conviction, just like serial killers, and mass murderers do.
    Furthermore, it is my belief that California has lenient laws against violent criminals, and that the death penalty should be used more and extended to child rapists and multiple offenses child molesters. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. These issues are very sensitive so of course need to be argued and brought to the table. For the death penalty it is scary that we as a nation give a go ahead to take another person's life. What needs to be looked at is not the death penalty but the prevention of incarceration. C'mon I know that's easier said then done, but with all the damn money spent in foreign policies like the war, we could have put that money in our youth like for education and for people who are out in the streets. Money basically is not the root of all evil, it is how we use it. Money can be used for good and can prevent a lot of crime. People commit crime because they lack sufficient necessities to survive. Others do have choices and still commit crime but they don't represent most criminals and delinquents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that if somone gets life in prison and they are rapists, child molestors, murderes (with valid evidence), the death penalty should be highly considered. Then again, the justice system is so corrupt that how will one actually know whether the evidence is enought to support the claim? Only if you have good money can you get a good lawyer. We are all not O.J. Simpson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cur!ous Kat, I agree with you! It is a pretty crappy judicial system that does let those with money get away with murder.

    ReplyDelete