Wednesday, February 23

Just an Anecdote

As I sat to read an article from a magazine last night, I decided I could take some time off from my 20 month old daughter. To keep her busy, I had an Elmo DVD playing on our living room T.V. and toys scattered all over the floor. I know, I may be coming off as a negectful parent. We all need a break though. The way I saw it was: I sit and relax while she gets to explore. I was so concentrated in what I was reading that I did not notice my daughter standing next to me. Suddenly, her little fingers were pulling on my sweater sleeve. She said to me,"Mami, haya" which is Spanish for "Mommy, over there." I was not sure what she wanted so I allowed her to guide me. She took me to the bedroom and into the closet, where I have a shelf with all of our books. She pointed to it and said, "Ma, gimme" (Mom, give me). I finally understood. She wanted a book. She wanted to read too. I gave her two of her books. Holding one in each hand, she walked with me back to the living room and joined me. Although she was interested in the books for no more than five minutes, I was amazed at what I had done by reading. It is true, "Children See, Children Do."

3 comments:

  1. this is absolutely wonderful. it makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...how cute!! Maybe she wanted you to read a book to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they only learned from our mistakes instead of having to repeat them..

    ReplyDelete